<VV> I Can't Believe

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Aug 20 11:15:22 EDT 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Smitty Smith wrote:

> Smitty Says:  I can't believe I am doing this but here I am.  I was
> on my way to a car show with Spike the other day, going down the
> highway, and all at once he quit running just like the key was shut
> off.  No chug, no flutter, no pop/fart, nothing.  Had the boss lady
> bring the tow bar and took him home.  Before I get a bunch of well
> intended novice comments I have to get this straight.  I know
> nothing of modern electronic cars but I am a well experienced
> mechanic of older cars and Corvairs specifically so if you don't
> have something to offer more than, "did you check the points", Save
> it.  And for you pros who might have something to contribute, please
> READ before asking something I have already answered  This is what I
> have done so far.
>  Checked for spark.  I have a hot fat spark.  Spark is good to the
> plug ends of all wires.  Checked for fuel.  Added 4 gals which
> topped off the tank.  Put a hose on the pump outlet and both the
> mechanical and electric pumps are fine.  Checked flow to the primary
> carb and into the bowl.  When I pulled the carb top the fuel was
> right up to the "waterline".  Valve not stuck.  It would have run on
> the secondary anyway with throttle open.  Checked static timing with
> a light bulb across the points.  23 degrees.  Checked # 1 TDC
> against the damper zero mark and the rotor position.  All good.
> Pulled the right valve cover and checked rocker operation while
> cranking engine.  Looked OK.  At TDC # 1 valves were both closed and
> had the same 1/2 turn preload that I had set when I put it
> together.  Used screw-in compression testor and got 120 psi on # 1
> in two rotations, cold, with other plugs installed.  Removed pan and
> checked cam gear as best I could.  Prying longitudinally on gear
> only resulted in movement associated with cam endplay.  (I
> considered this just a back-up test as I already knew I had
> compression).  So I put it all back together with alll systems GO
> and it doesn't run.  OK Kiddies, here is your chance to be a hero.

Beats me. I'm not THAT good a mechanic! But the way it quit; sure
sounds like ignition, don't you think? Either that or some
catastrophic failure. Still, few failures would shut off that
suddenly, I think.

What happens when you try to start it? You could try swapping out
known-good components, like the distributor; coil, etc. Sounds like
that little coil primary wire, but that doesn't explain your getting
good spark now.

What kind of ignition system do you have?

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman
CORSA South Carolina