<VV> That fatal crash: Did we know the Ragsdales? Sad day, from any perspective

kcvair at netscape.com kcvair at netscape.com
Wed Aug 20 17:11:18 EDT 2008

From what I could see in the picture, it looked like the passenger side took most of the force of the other car.  If the other car hit passenger side of his car the drunk would not be in line with the crash force.  If he had a passenger they might likewise been killed or badly injured.  I'm not going to stop driving my Corvair because of a few stupid and drunk drivers.  They will probably never go away.  Most assuredly the Cobalt would suffer a much worse fate if he'd hit a semi tractor.  Too bad he hit the Corvair instead.  Ken

KCVAIR
66 CORSA CN W/AIR
65 CORSA CP

--- Chaz at ProperProPer.com wrote:

From: "Charles Lee" <Chaz at ProperProPer.com>
To: <Wrsssatty at aol.com>
Cc: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> That fatal crash:  Did we know the Ragsdales?  Sad day,	from any perspective
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:51:55 -0700

I read that sad article, a leisurely Sunday morning destroyed by a drunk
driver.

Was the drunk driving the Cobalt ?
Most drunks do survive because they are more relaxed, which is sadder still
that he was not the one who was killed.

To top it off, someone calling him/herself a "Car enthusiast"
posted this insensitive response to the newspaper :
Monday, Aug 18 at 9:54 PM "Car enthusiast" wrote ...
The car is actually a very important part of this situation. The Corvair had
a book written about it titled "unsafe at any speed" Had this accident
occurred with two modern cars, all parties would not only be alive but
injuries would be minimal. Look at the driver of the Cobalt SS, he was up
walking around after it. He had proper safety restraints and air bags.
Everyone makes mistakes, the cobalt driver made the mistake of drinking, the
Corvair owner made the mistake of driving a Corvair.

... to which I had to respond ...
At the speed that was obviously involved, a newer car might not have faired
any better. The Corvair had something few other cars have, a large
"crushable" front end (being rear-engined) which likely absorbed most of the
impact and saved her husband's life. Many years ago, I had a similar
collision, and had I been driving my Camaro instead of my Corvair, I might
not be here today. I think we should focus on the people, not the car, but
that so-called 'car enthusiast' should check the facts!
http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/27049459.html

What is truly sad is that the drunk driver did not lose anyone near and dear
to him, and jail is too good for him, even it's forever, which it should be,
but won't happen.

Has anyone contacted the family ?

Sad...