<VV> Older Stock cars

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Thu Aug 21 10:20:37 EDT 2008

     The SCCA SEB (Solo Events Board) has just proposed to eliminate all
stock category cars over 25 years old as of 2010.
     It seems that this is proposed every few years as newer membership
takes office. How soon we forget where we came from!
    You could insert your own car situation here. I have been downsizing
over the past few years due to increasing costs.
    I haven’t used my motor home in 5 years, I just ditched my pickup
camper unit to get better towing mileage. I still love prepared and
modified cars, and my Corvairs, but the towing costs may end all of
that. I have even set a limit of 75 miles on attending events.
    Plan “C” for me, and I suspect for many of you, is to fall back to
driving to events in my “Stock” car.
    I have a Fiero( insert your car here)  that I purchased new and
intended to use it for plan “C”. Now I find that it will be eliminated.
    My options then are to purchase a new stock car ---$25,000+ on a
declining fixed income---sure would buy a lot of fuel—or modify my
stock car.
     Simpler solutions to a perceived problem(?) would be to combine
some stock classes so that all would have a place to run forever, or to
MAKE STOCK CLASSES COMPELETLY STOCK,  so that we could drive to events
and compete on our STREET tires, instead of tire trailering a
nd
mounting thinly disguised pure racing tires!

Regards,

Warren LeVeque
Raced and supported SCCA since 1968