<VV> eBay Corvair Sales - limited Corvair

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 21 19:20:17 EDT 2008

<<I believe that the only recourse is for the government to investigate these abuses by what is effectively a monopoly.  Of course, I hate that government gets involved in more and more of our lives but one of their few positive activities is when they intervene on behalf of the small guy.>>
Just a few related points, the first of which is almost no Corvair. Can someone name anything the government has been involved with that came out better? So that one is settled. (And while Craig's List is not nearly as big, it is an alternative). (And since no one has to use ebay, I don't think it would qualify as a monopoly).

Secondly, with a disclaimer that I don't own any stock in either company except what is in my 403B account, and that I am not totally happy with some of their costs and policies, Paypal is really not much more expensive to a seller than accepting a credit card. (I pay about 3.5% on it and 2.5% on CC's). It has also saved me mucho money when a buyer or a seller tried to rip me off. The money is returned with essentially no questions asked once proof of delivery or damage is provided. This is important with classic car parts, many of which are few of a kind. And, they are currently paying 2.33% on the funds, which I have not been able to match on what is essentially a checking account for me.

Finally, it is often the only way some sellers can accept credit card payments and therefore opens their business up to thousands of buyers who will not or cannot pay with cash or checks because of the risk and their wives finding out about the purchases.

Just my 2-cents (after 3,251 transactions and 100% positive feedback ;-).

The Carbmeister