<VV> security system / ignition cut off

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Fri Aug 22 00:26:04 EDT 2008

I park my Corvair in the driveway. I do not like the typical auto alarms
available. I don't want some siren going off that everyone ignores anyway. I
have several designs in my head to simply disable the ignition. However I am
not sure how I want to activate it; pushbutton, switch and where I want to
mount the "actuator".

A while back there was a device on EBay that had you operate several
accessories in a certain order to enable / disable the ignition. I even
thought of putting some micro switches in my AM radio so I have to push two
pushbuttons in a certain order to enable / disable the ignition, kind of
like Biff's car in "back to the future". "Only I know how to start my car".
However, I want it to be simple so it won't fail and disable me on the road.
Perhaps a solenoid ratchet switch that will not use power in either mode. It
only uses power to operate from one mode to the other. I don't want to have
to open the engine compartment every time I get into / out of the car.

I would like some suggestions of what some of you have done.

Dave Thompson

63 Spyder vert.