<VV> Carb update

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 23 02:25:03 EDT 2008

Well, I had to use the Monza as my Probe GT blew a main (100 amp)
fuse in the engine compartment while in the middle of an intersection
in downtown Dallas.  I'm at a loss for that one also.  Anywho, I had
to drive the Monza.  It was leaking at both carbs with the pump on
but the engine off.  I figured the problem just had to be before the
carbs.  Why would a carb that had been functioning correctly start to
malfunction when the car hadn't even been driven?  I tried to check
the pressure on the fuel pump line after the pressure regulator with
a gauge that I bought from Harbor Freight.  It showed that I had 1/2
lb. of pressure when the regulator was set at 2 lbs. ???  The pump
was also making a tapping sound like it does when it isn't getting
enough fuel to pump.   I decided to set the regulator at 1 lb. and
see what happened.  I put a line from the fuel line in a pint glass
jar and started the pump.  It filled about half of the jar in a
matter of four or five seconds (memory here).  I reattached the fuel
lines and went to sleep (11:30).  The next morning, I started her up
and drove her to work; about six miles of city streets.  She was
idling rough and acting like she wanted to die, so I stepped up the
idle.  I made it to work as she drove fine; just didn't like to
idle.  The adjustment allowed her to keep from dying, but she still
had a slight rocking motion at idle.  I checked the carbs when I got
to work and there was no leakage in the carbs - right or left!  I
drove it like that for two days.  I checked regularly, and although
the rocking at idle was still there, it didn't die and ran well
although I got 11 mpg.  I decided to check the balance with a
Unisyn.  That was weird, as the left carb was at the middle of the
tube and the right was pegged to the top.  I tried to adjust the
right to bring it down to no avail.  In the middle of switching from
carb to carb to check it, the right suddenly starts to register that
it is slightly higher than the left which I correct to balance.   She
continues to run ok, weird idle, no leakage.  Then I balance the
carbs per the manual.  The idles were way high, and the right carbs
mixture screw was about three to four turns out (1 1/2 per the
manual).  After doing that, I was able to get the right carb to leak
again!!  It doesn't leak when the pump in on and the engine off, just
when the car is running.  Right carb is not leaking.
Questions: if I used spring separators on the rear to lift the car,
could that be causing this problem?   The rear is slightly higher
than the front (1/2  t0 3/4 in) measured at the floor to chassis
behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels.  Second, the
pump manufacturer says to not have more than 12 inches distance
between the pump and the bottom of the gas tank.  I have closer to 20
in. because the pump is mounted to the body rail above and in front
of the rear wheel straight up from where the fuel line emerges from
under the bottom of the chassis.   Could that be something that would
manifest itself this way?  I would think not as I drove the car for
over three thousand miles with a less powerful pump manufactured by
the same company with none of the problems that I'm experiencing
now.    The lifts were the one thing (besides the brake hoses and
cylinders) that I had done to the car before all this started.

Thanks for all of your advise and help.   Sorry to get back so many
days later; kids, work, wife, life...

Stephen