<VV> Carb update

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 25 02:29:48 EDT 2008

I spent two hours tonight adjusting the leaking carb.  I set it at
1/4" clearance from the top of the float to the horn gasket.  I
decided to do that because:
A. it had run Wed, Thu, and Fri last week without leaking. Don't ask
me how. All I did was to adjust the idle screw to keep it from dying.
I was able to get it to leak again by balancing the carbs per the '65
manual.   B. If it would run without leaking when the floats were at
5/32 from the horn gasket, then putting the offending floats at 1/4"
should shut the bugger off. I even examined the needle and put the
best looking one I had (and it was in excellent condition) in the
seat. I spent thirty minutes adjusting the floats to level them at 1/4".
It didn't leak on accessory with the pump filling the bowls, only
when the ignition is turned and the engine starts and only on the
passenger side.  Remember that this is the carb that I broke the
inlet on and had to replace the horn with a "highly appreciated" one
from Cal.  Still, if it did run without leaking, and it did for three
days, what gives?

At the end of my carb rope.

Stephen