<VV> Speedometer problem

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Mon Aug 25 23:19:37 EDT 2008

OK,
This subject brings up a question...

My 63 Spyder speedo chirps & squeals now and then. It only happens for a few
seconds every 30 miles or so. The needle wiggles only while it is squealing.
Otherwise it is very stable.

The other responses have validated my thoughts of fixing it. As suggested, I
plan to add a little graphite into the cable housing from the speedo end and
run it. Do you guys think that I might also plan to replace the entire cable
eventually? I read someplace NOT to replace just the inside but to replace
the cable and housing. Has anyone had the actual speedo squeal or is it most
likely just the old cable? This is very low on my priority list but I
thought I'd ask since the subject was on the table.

Dave Thompson
Westminster, CA

[SNIP]

It sure sounds like the cable needs to be replaced.

Marc Sheridan

[SNIP]

Likely just needs some graphite powder lubricant dumped into the cable and
you should then respin it with a drill to move the lube around.  That will
smooth it out, as it did for me on my 68.

Dave, 68 Kelmark V8Vair, 66 Corsa 14-4 Vert

[SNIP]