<VV> CRANK TIMING

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 26 08:00:37 EDT 2008

     For reasons that I have never clearly understood, the 140 powerglide crank gear actually RETARDS the cam about 3-4 degrees.  My understanding is that the stock cam actually had about 4 degrees advance already in it.  Anyway, if you want bottom end torque, you want the cam ADVANCED about 3-4 degrees.  Retarding a cam gives you less on the bottom end and more at higher revs where your engine will infrequently run.
    The Otto 10 cam is ground "straight up".  Thus you want to dial in about 4 degrees advance.
     Hope this helps.

                Travis Payne     65 Monza coupe
                Raleigh, NC      65 500 coupe