<VV> Oil again

tony.underwood at cox.net tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Aug 26 23:20:53 EDT 2008

> In a message dated 8/26/2008 10:24:43 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> dfamily at fairpoint.net writes:
>
> Well,  today I found some Quaker State 10W-40 at the local Autozone that is
> marked SL  in the donut (not energy conserving)  It is just marked API Service
> SL  and nothing else.  Is this OK to use?  I don't want to drain it out  if it
> is the wrong stuff, as I have done before.  Dennis  Dorogi

It's worth mentioning that ANY respectable brand name oil available today is going to be much better than what Corvairs grew up with in the beginning and up through the end in '69.    In the early '70s, API service SD was regarded as the "good stuff" and fine for even the most demanding engines.    Then came SE, which was supposed to have been "space age" quality.

Those are a far cry from today's SL (although not necessarily SM) oils.

Just about anything you buy today is a breath of fresh air for a Corvair compared to what a lot of 'Vairs were subjected to Back When, in the '60s.

...anybody remember the "bulk motor oil" you used to be able to buy for dirt cheap, no labels, in glass bottles at some gas stations?  ...usually kept in a rack with those metal pop-on pouring spouts?    I'd be wary of running that stuff in a lawn mower but I'd see people buying it up and pouring it into modern (then) cars and not worrying about it.

tony..