<VV> Alcohol or Gasoline 100 Octane Re: E85...

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 12:23:25 EDT 2008

But aren't we confusing 100 octane mostly GASOLINE fuel (maybe E-10) with 100+ octane mostly ALCOHOL (usually E-85)?  The former can be run in stock Corvairs although to take full advantage of the high octane, at least timing changes can be made.  But the latter (mostly alcohol) since it has only about 70% of the heating value per gallon (compared to gasoline), requires MAJOR changes to the carb jetting as well as changing out fuel system components that will be affected by the action of high alcohol.concentration.

Frank "focusing on details" Burkhard

In a message dated 08/29/08 11:11:39 Eastern Daylight Time, barry.johnson at activant.com writes:
>> Living in North Carolina, there are quite a few gas stations with
>> 100 octane fuel.
>>    Here's a list for IL:
>>    http://tinyurl.com/6cvqbo

> Thanks for the websites. I found a station about 10 miles from my
house.

The first station on the Illinois list is just around the corner from my
house!  Never noticed the pump with GT 100 octane before -- have to
check that out next time I fill up.

Thanks, Tony, for the list!

baj