<VV> 100 Octane Fuel

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 15:59:03 EDT 2008

Dave,
     If you are NOW retarding the ignition timing to stop pinging, then running a higher octane (OR going to water injection) will enable you to restore the timing to normal, thereby gaining both power and mileage.  If it's only 20 cents more a gallon that's probably only about 5% more $ and your mileage will likely improve at least 5% so the increase in power is a bonus.  But you will have to change the timing to achieve this.
     The 150 and 180 turbo engines were designed to run on leaded premium which was probably a higher octane than the 91 you are presently using.
     Let us know what happens if you make the change.
     Frank Burkhard