<VV> Head studs

Brad Hall rbh3794 at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 31 07:51:32 EDT 2008

Like all of the other repliers, I never replace a head stud unless the outer threads are no longer useable.  However, if a stud inadvertently rotates out when disassembling the head, I do clean up the threads and tapped hole in the block with brake cleaner and reassemble it with loctite.  If a stud pulls out the aluminum from the block, I do use a helicoil and loctite the stud in.  If a stud pulls out a helicoil inserted by a previous owner, I make up an insert about 1" long that is 9/16-12 o.d. and of course, 3/8-16 i.d., tap the block, and loctite the insert as well as the stud into the block.  I've found that 1/2-13 won't quite clean up the damage from a pulled loctite insert, and 5/8-11 is encroaching on the cyl to block sealing surface.  Just my experience.

Brad Hall  Corsa Ontario