<VV> Daring the Darien Epitath

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Tue Dec 2 02:10:54 EST 2008

As most of you know, the 1961 trip through the jungle was
the sequel to the previous year's trip from the US down
through Mexico and to the then-end of the Pan American
Highway. The cars used were three red 1960 Caveman
Corvairs. At the end of the trip the cars were not brought
back to the States and I remember hearing that they may
have been used for Taxi service in Mexico.

The Darien trip used three red 1961 Corvairs. These cars
took a real beating and were not fit for use after the
trip. I have heard previously that they were left behind
in the jungle even though they had less than a couple of
thousand miles on each of them. There was a report a while
back that someone on an expedition in the area where the
trip ended found some of the remains still rotting away.

Another sad note to this story is that the Chevy dealer
from Dundee, IL that made the trip possible (Dick Doane -
noted Corvette racer and a real "gearhead") contracted a
jungle disease while on that trip and died a few years
later after returning to his dealership in the Chicago
suburbs.