<VV> "Winter" and California Dreamin'

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Dec 4 10:47:16 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/3/2008 11:21:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk writes:

I drove  it to Tahoe and we camped there. It rained. For a week.
Non-stop. In  August.

It was awful. In the end I decided to drive on anyway, rain or  no rain (I
wiped the glass as I drove along, with a rag on a stick),  because I was due
to ship the car out of Livermore, and we had a perfectly  good rental car
that we could use as well. I drove to Livermore in the  rain, ditched the
Buick, and then we stayed several days in San Francisco,  where it was foggy.

Then we left California and went back to Utah,  which is where we had flown
into to begin with. In Utah it was 90 degrees  and sunny.

That was the last time I went to California, and I as far as  I am concerned
am not missing anything (it was too tacky for me anyway).  My experience of
Californian weather was just like England in summer. And  in Vegas, just
before we got to Reno, it had snowed. In  August.

Your choice of locations, Reno, Tahoe, Frisco (Grin-they hate it when  I call
it that!) and Vegas are probably not too representative of California as  a
whole. Mark Twain once wrote: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in
San Francisco." And if it gets under 100 degrees in Las Vegas in August,
that makes the local news. But it was a dry summer this year in most of
California (No smoking!, that includes you too, trees!) We could certainly use  the
rain to build up the Sierra snow pack, so come on back to California, Alan.  And
bring that dreary British weather with you. If you fly through Utah  again,
be sure to grab a beer there, en route!

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette,  California