<VV> welding in new door pillar support

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 12:28:15 EST 2008

I have a LM convertible. The drivers door bottom hinge/pillar area requires some repair. There is concern that there may be too much gone away to fill in. Please do not snicker, I think she can be saved, it just how and what is the safest yield to repair. There is also a stress crack around the bottom hinge base plate, can this be welded shut again and grinded down? Obviously, door alignment plays a crucial role here, we are aware of that. But is the type of repair common to Vair restoration, or I am to believe it may be more terminal than I know.
Before purchasing said vehicle, I did the "door open - bouncy" test as described in the Corvair Basics book for LM convertible pre-sale estimation and it passed in my opinion.
Can a section of this area be grafted in from a donor car? Or is it better to weld in new pieces of steel stock to bridge the gap?
Are there structural differences in this area between LM coupes, convertibles or four doors?
-chris mann
69 convertible