<VV> Electrical problem... maybe, probably - Circuit diagrams

Charles Lee chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sun Dec 7 03:22:04 EST 2008

Frank,

Do these help ?

I made these wiring diagrams (with a lot of help from VV !) when I was
assembling mine from scratch, to figure out what went where.

Circuit diagram :
http://www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/CorvairIgnitionWiring.jpg

Spark plug wire placement from 65 manual pg 6-19 (suggested orientation)
http://www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/1965CorvairManual6Y-19.jpg

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Frank DuVal
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2008 10:15 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Electrical problem... maybe, probably.

Note on test at bottom of e-mail.

 Use ohms on points wire only when the key is off, or +12 volts is
disconnected from the coil. Otherwise you are putting +12 volts across
the ohmeter. This is disaster on the old analog meter types. With a
Fluke DMM (DVM), the meter is saved, but the reading is weird. The
easier way is to measure the voltage on the points wire ( - terminal of
coil to ground) while cranking and see that the voltage goes from +12 to

zero or so while cranking. You can use an analog or digital meter for
this test. Even a test light (light should flicker).

Here on the east coast the number of clubbies to change a bulb is
proportional to how rusted it is in the socket.

One to change the bulb, One to administer the band aid or Two to drive
to the clinc for stitches. gggg

Frank DuVal

PatioMatt at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 12/6/2008 3:21:53 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>cash.case at sbcglobal.net writes:
>
>we have electricity going to the coil when the key is in the start
position
>and the starter is engaged, but no apparent spark from the top of the
coil.
>No electricity is evident when the key is in the on  position.
>
> 1`  no elect. when key is in ON  position...   Ballast wire is broken,
not
>connected  [ 2 wires on Coil + !! ]  you  should have 6-9 vdc  in ON
12  when
>cranking.
>

>2   Points are not grounding to dist.   ETC..

> TEST:
>
>  Remove wire from Coil - [ neg]
>
> Jump 12 vdc to Coil + [ pos]
>
>  With another jumper.. Coil - to Ground!      when you lift that wire
off
>the metal.. you should have a spark! [ simulates  points!]
>
>  NEXT, if that worked...
>
> use your meter to test the points !    OHMS   while cranking.
>
>ps  how many of your Clubbies does it take to change a  lightbulb???
LOL!

>Matt  Nall

are the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org