<VV> starter problem

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 8 19:41:01 EST 2008

1964 110 PG van engine in a '61 coupe. valves adjusted cold.

 What would make a starter engage on the first non start attempt, then have the starter drive stay engaged to the flywheel when the  second attempt is made. I know it is stuck as we can disengage it by turning the engine by hand. The next attempt results in the starter not engaging or turning the engine over at all. GREAT FRUSTRATION HERE!!!

 Two working starters tried. Starters were partially dissembled and checked for obvious faults, lubed, bench tested and  reinstalled.  Neither one gave us the results we were looking for. One thing we noticed was that the PO had substituted a cut down bolt  "stud" inserted into the bell housing for the bolt in place of the usual bolt. This "stud" the PO threaded into the bell housing and now you put a nut onto the "stud" to secure the starter.

 This is a neat idea to help locate the starter, but could it be cocking the starter a bit to hang up the drive gear on the starter? I don't think so.

 We are restoring the engine compartment but nothing was done to the flywheel and the original starter started to act up with the symptoms described. It did use to start the engine.

MIKE KOVACS