<VV> 61 Loadside update

The Reinharts jtreinhart at omnitelcom.com
Wed Dec 10 22:47:32 EST 2008

All, I have had some time to completely disassemble the 4-speed trans. and the 3:89 rear end. Both are not original to the truck. The trans. is shot. All gears and blockers look good but the countershaft that the needles run on and the bore of the countershaft gears that the needles run in are worn excessively. Also the main shaft needle brg. race and the input or clutch gear bore as chev. calls it is rust pitted. The diff. was very cruddy inside and all the brgs. show signs of alot of crap going through them. I think the ring and pinion will survive. My dad has an extra early 4-speed and I am going to help a club member part out a 61 van and buy some parts from him. So with 3 4-speeds and two rear ends and some new brgs. I should be able to make a good pair. I also did a preliminary cleaning on the van block, bolted it back together and measured the cam bores. They all measure within tolerance. I am preparing to order parts for the engine while I get the block ready for the change over to a 110. So my simple engine rebuild has turned into a major power train overhaul. I think I will also drop the rear suspension and cross member and replace all the rubber bumpers and bushings while it is all apart. Then there will be no reason to take it apart again. Hopefully That's all the progress for now.

Jamie