<VV> Surprise! Surprise! FC Heat

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 14:01:47 EST 2008

I now have pretty decent heat and excellent defrost. I installed a newer fan motor out of the junk yard, and replaced the defroster channels.  I also wrapped the long underbody conduit with insulation. Remember, this conduit has to get warmed up first to transfer the warm air. You are dealing with a wind chill factor when driving.
I also attached a hanging bar just behind the front seat and double folded a heavy cotton drape that reaches to the floor. This prevents most of the drafts that come under the front seat. It's amazing but it works quite well. It's only 12 degrees now.  My friend is helping me to cut and shape a piece of 2 inch styrofoam to place behind the seat, hidden under the drape for better heat retention.
Every where I go people come over to look at my FC. Maine is real truck country and most people have never seen a Greenbrier let alone a Corvair.  The fuel pump I bought from Clark's has functioned w/o a problem for 3000 miles. I have a back up electric just in case. My other Greenbrier camper had an electric fuel pump installed many years ago due to the Arizona heat and vapor lock problems.
BTW I need advice on obtaining a 14 " rim for my spare. It has to fit the front. Any advice ?