<VV> Got A Question

Dennis Pleau dpleau at wavecable.com
Thu Dec 11 16:25:53 EST 2008

Check the plug gap..

dp

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of gwd601 at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:05 AM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Got A Question

Mike, I am a member of CORSA and my local chapter , Friends of Corvair here
in Ohio and I have an ignition problem w/ my 63 Monza that "appears" to be
unique to my car that I find hard to believe.?Here it is.
The car starts and runs just fine when it is cold. 17 miles later across the
freeway, about the time the engine is fully warmed up, the car begins
missing, breaking up and will hardley pull away from a stop. If you floor
the accelerator the engine will just stall, you need to really feather it to
crawl along and begin picking up speed again. Not good. I have been through
all aspects of both fuel and ignition and what has seemed to have "fixed"
the problem is a new performance coil that allows the car to drive about 98%
normal. It still? seems like just a little bit of a miss at times when fully
warmed up but no driveability problems compared to before w/ the old coil.
In my experience w/ this thing, I found that the coil gets extreamly hot due
ofcourse to?its location. Yes my vent doors are working fine.
I tried several other old OE coils and they too failed.?I can't believe that
I am the only one haveing problems w/ old ignition coils getting too hot. IF
that is really the problem.
The car is a 63 Monza cpe. 85hp / auto with 45,000 miles. It has been in our
family for 30 yrs and I know the cars history as I have been the only one
ever to work on it. It has new wires and plugs ect. Carbs rebuilt and fuel
system checked out including a new pump.
Any advice would be apprciated.
Thank you.
Gary DeMoss
Bath Oh.