<VV> Car puffing smoke up through the PCV tube

Jay Ciampi jciampi at embarqmail.com
Tue Dec 16 16:43:09 EST 2008

Hi guys,  I have a bit of a problem with my 64 Monza with a 95 hp engine.  It seems that

1. I have smoke puffing out the PCV tube into the air cleaner when running.

2. I have a white substance inside of my oil filler tube. It looks like what would happen on a water-pumper when the head gasket is blown.  It must be gas mixing with the oil. Right?  I ran a compression check on all cylinders and they all read within 5 lbs of 150 lbs. I don't know how accurate the gauge is, it was borrowed.  I am guessing that the fuel pump is leaking gas into the oil.  I don't have the white frothy stuff on the dipstick. It looks normal.  The car runs rough when it will start.  It was running ok until I took a 10 mile jaunt with it to a car show. On the way home it started sputtering on me. It seemed like it would smooth out over 40mph, but anything slower than that it ran like it only had 5 cylinders.

Has anyone experienced this situation and if so, how did you fix it?  New fuel pump?  Rebuild the old one?

Jay Ciampi
CORSA
Lake Placid, FL.