<VV> Fwd: Water in oil/milk shake

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 13:00:48 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/18/2008 6:59:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jciampi at embarqmail.com writes:

I am  using a 30W oil and i had just changed it about 2 days before I drove
it.

Jay

Jay, I was replying to both you (in Florida) and Judge Houston in
Maine--definitely two different climates in December.  You say you are  using a 30W oil,
but I have a hunch it is a 30 weight oil and not a 30W oil (I  have seen 20W
oil, but never 30W oil--back in the "good old days" before good  quality
multigrade oil manufacturers recommended a 20W in winter and a 30 weight  in
summer).  If you are using a 30 weight oil then it won't have the extra  winter
additives.  Note that a 10W-30 or 15W-40 multigrade is both a winter  oil as well
as a summer oil.  I believe you also said you were looking for  lower shrouds
to add to the engine which would mean it would take your engine  longer to
warm up without the shrouds and you would be more likely to see the  milking
emulsion around the oil filler pipe.

Bottom line from where I stand is if you don't have the milky stuff on the
dipstick (which indicates all the oil is contaminated), but only on the inside
of the oil filler tube after short trips then things are normal.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.