<VV> now, what

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 20:09:52 EST 2008

snipped and bottom posted

From: "Jay Ciampi" <jciampi at embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> OK, Now What?

I walked away from the car for an hour or so, went back and just for the
heck of it, I tried to start it again. The darned thing started right up.
Something is intermittent  for sure. I am going to replace the cap and
rotor. The points look really good and are set at .018 as they should be.

The engine ran nicely again after it warmed up in a few minutes.  The cap
looks kinda "ratty" and there was some green corrosion down in the center
socket when I pulled the wire out to check its resistance. The rotor looks
like it has been through the war.

More later.....

Jay

I'd test now :
- voltage drop across the points when closed (point condition)
- dwell at different engine speeds (point gap and distributor bushing clearance and point plate condition)
- ability to make a fat blue spark across a new plug with 0.06 inch wide gap when cranking(coil condition ign system condition)
- cap to plug terminal resistance of each plug lead assembled to the cap (wire and connection condition)

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA