<VV> More on the eBay bum NO CORVAIR

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 11:51:45 EST 2008

Interesting - thanks Hank. I am glad I am not alone in becoming increasingly
angry at the way I am being treated.

Here is the article from the Economist, which might be a Brit mag (it has a
US publishing arm as well, actually), but is a highly-respected one:

http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11580247&CFID=36131263&CFTOKEN=16289894

What interested me was the graph showing eBay's operating margin plummeting,
and the text saying that their customers were disenchanted (too right) and
their volume collapsing.

In my opinion this is because if you offer people terrible customer service,
rising prices for a worse deal, and worsening trading conditions, they
eventually become disenchanted and desert you, even if there is no
alternative. I think the single most annoying thing about them is the
incredibly arrogant way that if you infringe one of their 2 zillion silly
little small print regulations, they delete the auction for ever so that it
can never be viewed again (so you can't correct the error!), and they don't
tell you they have done it until afterwards.

This makes you look like a total crook and makes the buyers suspicious that
you are a fraud, whereas the kinds of things you get the auction deleted for
are very often silly little infringements like putting something in the
wrong category - a thing which is very easy to do by mistake, because I save
the last auction as a template for the next, and sometimes forget to change
the category (and I have had several auctions deleted on exactly these
grounds).

Now, I might be a bit innocent, but I can't for the life of me see why they
couldn't suspend the auction temporarily and/or send an email giving you,
say, 12 hours to correct the error. Actually, yes I can see why they don't
do this. It would cost them money, and that would never do...

I have bought the URL www.oldcaraccessories.com, and I am in the process of
setting that up to sell my classic car accessories, rather than using eBay.
It will take a long time (I have over 50 categories alone, and about 10000
items to put in them), but it will cost me less, I won't be hemmed in by
silly, pettifogging regulations, and I won't have to keep redoing my
descriptions over and over again!

Cheers

Alan