<VV> Ebay crooks

john maddox crazymadmaddox at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 23 12:36:02 EST 2008

In reference to recent posting concerning crooks on Ebay in Ohio. I too, have been ripped off by Ebay crooks in Ohi0. Last year it was for a set of carbs that I never received but after nearly a year I received a refund for the purchase in the mail without any explanation. Ebay had said that they couldn't find the guy, had did all they could do and it had been reported to the U. S. Postal Inspectors (it can be a Federal offense, not nessessarily if a U.S. Postal money order is used or the mail is used in any way to complete the deal) and somehow I think the guy became aware of the Postal Inspectors were looking for him and he promptly paid up everyone. Ebay said it would be up the Federal DA to do anymore.  2nd rip off was in Sept with another seller in Ohio, (JoshRussell). This time I did use a Postal money order thru the mail and never got anything. I was not the only one he ripped off and he suddenly disappeared. Either he moved or gave false info as Ebay was not able to track him down. This I did report to the Postal Inspector myself since I used the mail but the wheels of justice are very slow in view of the thousands of cases they are already have. I was only out a few bucks and maybe someday I will get may money back.
Before I became completely disabled due to a bone disease, I had a small part-time motorcycle shop on the side. For over 15 years I have bought/sold over a thousand bike parts on Ebay. Not once in dealing with big bad biker guys on Ebay did I ever get ripped off or have any problems. I only used Ebay a very, very few times to buy Corvair parts and got ripped off twice by "fellow" Corvair guys in Ohio and never with the big bad bikers. I am sure there are some good guys in Ohio but I wouldn't buy from anyone there unless it someone I already know. This would be a good place to inquire about any problems with any Ebay sellers before you buy, if no one can recommend-don't buy. More of the well know Corvair vendors are beginning to use Ebay and I would encourage them to do so (Lou go ahead and use Ebay-it's very easy-basically all you need to do is pack and ship, Ebay handles the rest). I hope my health continues to improve so I can open a Ebay store soon to sell some of my 40+ years accumulation of biker, hot rod, and Corvair stuff. If you have a problem on Ebay-complain often to Ebay and report it to the proper law enforcement-be insistent but don't lose your composure.
 In general I have always been well pleased with Ebay but in any event, there is always one or two buttholes that mess things up for the rest of of us. I usually deal directly with the well know Corvair vendors for new stuff and services but Ebay is good for the odd lots, used, and guys clearing out the shop/yard. Just be very careful on Ebay, use this board or others for inquiry before buying (and watch those Ohio guys!).

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?