<VV> I WANT COMPRESSION!

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Dec 26 11:37:04 EST 2008

Hi Mark,

The basics have already been covered, but one other thing I don't
think was mentioned.  To a certain extent, a higher RPM engine is
better able to use more compression without detonating, because
everything happens more quickly.  If you take an otherwise stock 140,
you can make it more detonation resistant by reducing the piston to
head distance as outlined in other posts.  However, once you go
beyond about 10:1, you'll almost certainly run into detonation if
you're still using a stock cam - you'll just have too much pressure
and too much time at lower RPMs.  The really high CR engines all have
non-stock cams, and has was mentioned before you'll then need to
check the valve train geometry.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

--Bryan