<VV> Converting a Corvair to electric viable?

Bob Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Tue Dec 30 14:01:50 EST 2008

Hi,

As luck would have it I've been doing detailed research on this possibility
for the last 3 months.

It is most certainly possible and most of what you need is readily available
from several vendors. There's many, many web sites and how to articles and
videos. There are even pre-configured kits for certain cars such as Geo
Metros and S10 trucks. However, there's no free lunch and to do it with new
(i.e. non-scrounged, non-used parts) and aiming at a reasonable range and
speed will cost in the neighbourhood of $10K and that's with lead acid
batteries. I can buy a brand new econobox for approximately the same amount
so pure economic justification isn't there. I've read many stories for
conversions being done for a fraction of that but they seem to be fraught
with on-going issues. There's nothing wrong with that and it's all a matter
of tradeoffs but if I am going to do it I want something that I can use with
some reasonable confidence that it will get me where I want.

I was going to convert my 66 turbo convertible but certain family members
threatened me with unspeakable things so I'm currently looking for the
"right" donor car.

Now where I will find the $10k is another story!  :-)

Regards,
Bob