<VV> Classic Car rules

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Dec 30 16:13:55 EST 2008

Speaking of Europe, the latest proposed EU language (from the Federation
Internationale des Vehicules Anciens) attempt to uniformly define a
"Classic Car"  (and hopefully make them a protected class not subject to
the more stringent upcoming EU regulations on non-classic vehicles).
They have defined it as a car at least 30 years old in 2010 (meaning
December 31, 1980 would be the cutoff production date), preserved and
maintained in an historically correct condition, and not used as a means
of daily transport.

Currently this is a non-rolling date, non-daily usage is not yet
defined, it's not clear what sort of updates (such as radial tires or
fuel injection) would still be considered "historically correct", and
FIVA themselves admit that the strict definition does not adequately
cover all historic/classic cars. But it's an important piece of work
because it's the first time I'm aware of such a universal definition
being attempted and it is sure to influence (at some level) potential
legislation in this country.

Currently the UK has a 1973 non-rolling production date cutoff for
classics (free road tax/ registration) and all cars must meet a rigorous
annual MOT safety inspection.

Bill