<VV> Main Wiring Harness installation

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 31 15:29:35 EST 2008

I posted this on the Covair Center, also, so if you saw it there,
this is a repeat...more lines in the water.
Crain Nicol suggested removing the tunnel cover under the carpet in
the cabin to solve the tunnel to cabin leg of the process.  I haven't
tried to remove that yet, so I don't know if that is the answer to
one of my next problems.  That would still leave how to cross the
tunnel over or through the heater channel in the tunnel as noted in
the body of this post.
I ran into three problems when trying to install the main harness in
the rear of the car. The first problem involved getting the wire past
a bolt that holds the rear seat belts. I had to take out the rear
seats in order to loosen the bolt enough to pass it back into the
floor board to make room. Then one of the clips that holds the wire
to the chassis is right behind the horse collar shaped frame that
runs from side to side. That was impossible to solve, so I just left
it hanging loose there. Then the harness was almost impossible to
pass through the hole in the fire wall. I had to get half of the
connection through and then pass part of the wire through before the
last half of the harness connection would pass through. After that, I
took off the tunnel cover to see my next assignment. That may be the
end of my part of this project. When I got to the front where it
exits the tunnel and goes behind the gas tank on its path to the
cabin, I realized that it would be a major PITA if not DNI. It has to
pass across the center of the tunnel through the heater tunnel ?
(picture on 12-21 and 12-22 of the ‘65 manual) which doesn't appear
wide enough for the harness connection nor removable (no visible
connections) and then behind the gas tank and up a body tunnel before
reaching the cabin and the instrument panel compartment wiring
harness connection. There is no way to tell if the tunnel leading to
the cabin is wide enough to allow the harness connection to pass,
either. I would try it without the harness connection, but the
manufacturer of the harness strongly advised against disconnecting
the harness wires from the harness, routing, and then reconnecting.
So at this point, I'm dead in the water (garage)

Stephen U