<VV> Crankshaft Question?

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Feb 3 15:22:44 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/3/2008 11:13:57 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
DUMERAUF at cs.com writes:

I hope I  don't open up a fire storm here, but I have to ask:
How many have taken off  .020 on the crankshaft and had problems of it
breaking?
A friend  recently told me that they tend to break at .020. I have never
heard
this  before.

Terry,
More Corvair myths. They just crop up like lightening-caused fires. It's
just not true.

What likely might happen is that someone runs a LM crank without a harmonic
damper--just a plain pulley. Then the crank  develops some cracks. Years
later the cracks have grown to large cracks and just one day the crank breaks.
That get blamed on whatever the owner just did.
Regards,
Bob Helt

48)