<VV> Electrical Reliability Question

David B. Neale david.neale3 at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 6 13:53:27 EST 2008

"It has been noted that Lucas components are possibly more prone to
electrical leakage than Bosch or generic Japanese electrics. Experts
point out that this is because Lucas is British and all things British
leak. British engines leak oil, shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and
disk brakes leak fluid, British tires leak air and the British defense
establishment leaks secrets...so, naturally, British electronics leak
smoke."

Well .... I hadn't realised that a Brit praising the Corvair for its
reliability would induce a member to advise one and all that
all things British leak, not only in the automotive field but in the
defence arena, too. Of course, they don't, and although we produced more
than our fair share of questionable vehicle engineering, (mainly in the
1960s and 1970s, when the Japanese came along and kicked us in the seat,
following which almost the whole of our automotive industry either
collapsed or was bought up by foreign companies), it would be unfair for
Britain to claim the monopoly on poor engineering and a leaky defence
establishment, despite Chris and Bill Strickland's hilarious
revelations, for which I am extremely indebted.  Ford Pintos which
explode when clouted up the rear; a certain small Chevrolet whose
pistons made a most efficient job of reaming the cylinders somewhat
oversize .... and Harold Nicholson, Noshir Gowadio, John  A. Walker and
Aldrich Ames produce illuminating evidence of remarkable leaks in the
CIA and US defence organizations.

Naturally, I appreciate that this was a good-humoured riposte, and in no
way a rant at things British.  After all, we did give you the gas
turbine engine, (without which you might all still be belting around the
skies behind those excellent Wright Cyclones), and we do still hold the
record for the world's fastest car, the Thrust SSC, which probably
contains absolutely no Lucas components, but was the first to go through
the sound barrier.

For the record, Lucas, in the 1970s,  also designed and built mechanical
fuel injection systems which amused owners of Triumph 2500 cars by
regularly bursting into flames when given their first start of the day.
Lucas dire engineering and design wasn't restricted solely to electrical
systems.

"Starter motors were frowned upon in British Automobiles for some time,
largely
because they consume large quantities of smoke, requiring very large wires."

Oh .... and British cars got their first electrical starter motors in 1912.

Kind regards,

David