<VV> Electrical Reliability Question

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Feb 6 16:24:22 EST 2008

There are two main issues with Lucas electrics... both stemming from
cost cutting measures...

The first is the lack of plated connectors. This may seem like a simple
thing, but over time (especially in switchgear) corrosion causes a
breakdown in the ability to pass current... hence the three positions of
a Lucas switch "dim", "flicker", and "off". ;-)

The second issue (as compared to both the Americans and to Bosch) is the
underspecification of components. If a given circuit required, say,
1.75A, the Germans or the Yanks might provide gear capable of 2, 2.5, or
even 3A on that circuit... the Brits would use 1.74999 and round up. ;-)
No room for error, no operational margin.

This of course doesn't take into account some of the more infamous feats
of British engineering, such as when the TR7 needed a catalytic
converter so the engineers placed it under the hood about 3" from the
fusebox!!!! Lucas had little to do with fiascoes like that....

Being a long time British car owner, I don't fear (or even dislike)
Lucas electrics (I find Ducellier much more distasteful)... but I can
tell you owners of those marques can't expect to pull a car out of a
junkyard (or barn, etc) and expect 99% of the electrics to work
perfectly... as has been my experiences with older American vehicles
(particularly Corvairs)...

If you want to learn about vehicle electrics, buy a British car... a
Corvair is too electrically reliable and straightforward to really teach
you much.

;-)

Bill Elliott
"Gentlemen do not motor about after dark"- Mr. Lucas