<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 37, Issue 19

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Sat Feb 9 20:22:33 EST 2008

I have a pretty complete package of material from one of the Canadian
Winter Rally participants who campaigned a car from the Washington DC
area.  I need to get it to the Corvair historical folks so it can go
in the archives.

But to summarize, the car was basically stock.  Other than carrying
some spare parts and fitting some good winter rally tires and lights,
I don't think they prepared the car at all.  The engine & suspension
were stock.

I think this was the '65 - '66 winter, but it was reported to be the
worst in the winter rally season.  Few, if any, finished.  They did
pretty well with the Corvair, but I need to dig up the material again
and check.  The major problem they ran into was ice packing into the
throttle swivel under the car -- it would gradually keep the throttle
from returning.  At each check point, they'd readjust the throttle
linkage to compensate, not realizing it was ice buildup under the car.

I'm pretty busy with other stuff right now (house maintenance), but
I'll see if I can't find the package and give a few more
details.  You might also look back a few years in the Communique --
there was a two or three page article on the Canadian Winter Rally series.

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair