<VV> Muffler hangers and shields

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 10 16:39:51 EST 2008

Well, I finally got the headless bolt that goes through the brace for
the A/C compressor out.  Only took an hour.  I'm preparing to install
factory type muffler hangers on the right and left.  I have a 110,
but am using the dual exhaust setup.  My hand was forced on this as
the muffler kept coming loose at the exhaust log and eventually
caused enough back and forth to break the rubber on the FLAPS hanger
(used to get the car on the road last summer) and the muffler exhaust
side hit the street although it didn't come off of the log.  I was
able to use pipe cleaners twisted together to nurse it to a FLAPS
about two blocks away.  I purchased electrical wire and with that,
was able to make it back to my garage.

Anywho, I'm looking at the heat shields for the left and the right.
The right side shield has a place to put an additional strap around
the muffler to secure it, on the other side though, there are two
places for bolts with the nuts welded in place and the spacing is 3
1/2 inches apart.  I can't figure out what they attach to.  On the
left hand side, the shield has the same configuration, but the places
for the bolts are 2 1/2 inches apart.  Again, I can't see anything on
the engine that they might attach to.

Need help as I'm trying to ready the car for a show next weekend and
I only have a little time today and MAYBE Tuesday, Thursday, and
Friday nights to pull this off while trying to take care of my three
year old!

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Vice-President-elect / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110 PG  - Sierra Tan, Saddle, A/
C, AM/FM