<VV> CORSA National Membership

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 22:13:34 EST 2008

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.  However, it's hard to argue with #s.  According to a recent poll by our current president on the Chapters List ...

<snip start>
9 chapters ask about Joining Corsa on their Application OR include a CORSA application
5 chapters require CORSA membership
the remaining 19 encourage and/or recommend CORSA membership
<end snip>

According to a prior email by Mr. Mahler as many as 3 of those 5 actually enforce it.  (When 4 had responded only 2 required and enforced.  I'm giving the 3rd one the benefit of the doubt.)  Therefore, only 12.5% truly require membership, or 1 in 8.  I'm pretty sure based on a pending vote by my current local club, CORSA SC, that this number is about to be reduced.

Seems most of the clubs have discussed this and made up their minds that recommending national membership is the right way to go.  I personally feel this is based on the typical Corvair personality, not the part of being a tight wad, but the part of us that doesn't like being told what to do.  Ralph Nader said the cars sucked but we don't like being told that.  We prefer to make our own opinion.

I also personally feel that the local clubs should be the initial personal contact with new corvair owners.  Welcome them, nay, EMBRACE them into your local clubs and THEN show them the benefits of CORSA.  Don't require it.  Require it and push them away.  Our club refunded someones local fees that refused to join CORSA.  What kind of publicity is that?  "Drive your Corvair all you want but you're not welcome here, and we won't help and encourage you because you can't socialize with us."

I for one, as long as I own and maintain Corvairs, will continue to be a member of CORSA whether or not I'm a member and/or participant of my local chapter.

My opinion will obviously differ from others but "you get more bees with honey than vinegar".  :D  Pretty hard to argue with that, too.

Barry Ellison
2 lates, 2 earlies, busy building a house so been very quiet on VV/FV lately, but this is too important to discuss w/o some facts and more opinions.