<VV> dues collection

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Thu Feb 14 17:55:58 EST 2008

Some of you I am certain, when not enjoying your Corvairs (This thread  is part of the annual Cabin Fever Syndrome), or sitting in the dark throwing darts from your computer, may have served in the military, and belong to one of the National Veterans groups like the Legion, VFW, Marine Corps League, AmVets, Vietnam Veterans of America, etc. Or perhaps belong to a fraternal group like the Masons, Oddfellows, Elks, Moose, etc.

All these organizations have local posts, detachments or chapters, just as we do in CORSA.

All have a "Life Membership Program".  I thought CORSA did too.
The Marine Corps League has such a program, I am a Detachment Commandant.
We set the dues rate for our Detachment.

  From that dues collection we are required to send a set amount to the National Office and the Department of North Carolina for each member. The rest (about 5 bucks out of our 25.00 annual renewal--30 for a new member) goes into our General Fund.
In the case of life members, the Detachment receives a check from the National office each year, set stipend for each life member we have.

Now when I belonged to Tidewater Corvair, they charged 12.00 per year for the Chapter Dues.  Say for the sake of Argument that it still is 12.00.

Why not just tell new members that the dues are 50.00 a year?  The Chapter keeps 12, and the 38 goes to CORSA?    For all I know TCC may already do it that way!  Easier than to check to see if every member has a current CORSA membership card.

It's all how you sell it.  Not everyone is a salesman.  When you explain the benefits
(Communique, Website accesss, insurance for events, etc), some might say
well, 50.00 is a lot of money.

Friends, 50.00 don't fill the 27 gallon tank on my truck.  And I go thru about a tank and a half a week just going to work and running errands.  Hope my Rampside does better, cause I'll park that nice F-150 if it does. 50.00 won't buy dinner for two at Outback--even if you have tea instead of adult beverages.

And look at what you get!   Decades of experience, a mentor to help you, fellowship and a lot more.

My friend Bob told it better than I ---If you wanna dance---Pay the band.

Last post for me, I see the flesh now hanging in shreds from a dead horse.  And I'll bet within a year we see the same mess again, in 11 years on this list I've seen it at LEAST a half dozen times

Hank