<VV> <CORSA Chapters> Forced CORSA membership

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Thu Feb 14 22:44:04 EST 2008

My name has been on the CORSA membership rolls since 1989.  My portly figure has been seen at several recent International and regional CORSA events where I have met and developed friendships with many great Corvair people. In my own ways I support the Corvair hobby.  When CORSA  activities boost the enjoyment of the hobby I am pleased,  when they don't I try to speak out.

Would forcing clubs to be 100 per cent CORSA help or hinder the hobby?  I have a very good idea what our local club would decide . . . and it wouldn't be helpful to CORSA.  Inclusion is better than exclusion. If we have to "bully" people into CORSA is that a good thing?  I encourage people to join CORSA, but don't force them . . . we do need to do a better job of selling CORSA.

Insurance moochers . . . an interesting point.  But it works both ways MCCA has members that are also CORSA members that never make it to an event or even clubmeeting . . . they never get any benefit from CORSA insurance so does that mean that the other CORSA members are mooching off of them? Should a portion of their dues be refunded.   When a International Convention looses money it is made up by CORSA so aren't those who attended the convention mooching off the non-attenders?  Does anyone know how many claims have been paid by CORSA insurance in the past 5 years?

Ahh the survey.  We need the surveys completed by those who are not members more than those that are . . . to figure out why we are not reaching them, if there are simple things that CORSA could do to bring them into the fold.  Members need to fill it out also.  CORSA can not continue in the same path and survive in the long run.  Changes must be made, tough decisions made, and member input will help in the difficult process.

Feel free to disagree with me, many people I respect do and I think no less of them. Reasoned discussion is always welcomed.  I never learn anything listening to only those that share my view.

For the betterment of the Corvair hobby.

Terry Kalp