<VV> mooches et al

Bob Saunders upnorth1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 10:45:33 EST 2008

In the past few days find the conversation has moved from the possibility
of  local chapters collecting dues for national org. and vice versa. The
conversation was interesting, providing valid points on both sides. This
morning when I logged on, I find several new references to mooches and those
who love or hate them. "If you have the money to buy a corvair, you have the
38 bucks to join Corsa"

Corsa members have been a tremendous help to me in the past year. They found
the original colors of my Loadside, diagnosed blown engines for a total
newbie, answered many questions when Corvkid50 and I were unable to get my
rebuilt engine/ differential/ tranny to work. {Finally it does!!!}  The
generosity was outstanding!

It wasn't true that I had the money to join the national club however.  I
serve in ministry, making less per hour than I did in 1992. Plus, because of
my physical limitations, I am unable to work 40 hour weeks. I don't have
health insurance, or  new suit. I buy most of my clothes on clearance, as
well as the food  for my home.

Working on my loadside provided an excellent source of relaxation after
coming home from holding the hand of a kid who was dying after their car hit
a tree, or listening to a mom cry after she lost her baby. {five in the past
two months}

I am not a mooch. I tried to find different ways to pay back the local club,
from volunteering time to making "License Plates" for the local car show.
The local club hasn't seen to have a problem with it at all.

I recognize the benefit of CORSA, and recently had both the money and the
desire to join. I mean, the resources are wonderful, and certainly well
worth the money. In fact, the other day, I tried to join online.
Unfortunately, the server kept bouncing me back, and wouldn't accept my
password choices. I will still join, but will just have to send in a paper
app.

Sorry to say, as well as the wonderful resources available here, there seems
to be an abundance of name calling, shaming and just a plain attitude that
"if you don't agree with me, you are a piece of crap"  EVERYONE IS ENTITLED
T0 THEIR OPINION  on the issue of national membership. I do believe that if
you cannot respect an individuals worth, keep it off the list. Speak with
the individual on a one to one basis, I have found that those I disagree
with can sometimes be the ones I respect the most.

So, I am not a mooch, just couldn't afford national membership at the time.
I will still read the list, and continue to gain much knowledge and
assistance here. I also wont let the poor examples of respect shown
from *either
side* of the argument affect my decision to join CORSA.

Chaplain Bob

FROM TROPICAL WISCONSIN
AT THE TIP OF LAKE SUPERIOR