<VV> body work beginning

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Feb 15 22:27:53 EST 2008

If the car is repainted with emanel instead of lacquer the razor blade
can give you big curls. This will not be the result if it is lacquer.
Lacquer is hard, so it breaks off in tiny chips. Your wrist can get very
sore from this action of breaking off tiny chips.

Aircraft stripper was my shops method. I would say favorite method, but
no method of stripping can be a favorite job! gggg

Here is the product we used most:
http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=320

We did also use a thick stripper with fiber in it that smelled of
ammonia. This would produce a shop of purple smoke when the gas heaters
were on. NOT good! Phosgene or chlorine gas? But it worked well....

Always use protection with strippers. Hands, eyes, lungs.

Covering stripper coated surfaces with plastic will keep it wet and
working longer.

Enamel will wrinkle, lacquer just gets soupy at best. Lacquer usually
requires some mechanical scraping to move the soup around. Plastic
"Bondo" speaders work well. Steel wool is great, but you can spend a lot
here. They gum up fast.

Have fun!

Frank DuVal