<VV> paint stripping

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Sat Feb 16 07:51:29 EST 2008

I've never seen a wire wheel rated anywhere the RPMs my die grinder turns.
When one of those wires comes of at 20K rpms, it could do some damage.

Dennis

First, I've been reading this thread from the road and haven't been able to
respond.

Second, there are MANY wire-wheels with RPM ratings suitable for things like
4.5" angle grinders.....look at any welding supply shop.  I prefer the
"twisted wire" cup-type in a 4.5" angle grinder, and have a couple of
"dedicated" wire-wheel tools in the shop for body and welding work.  Welding
leathers should be a "standard shop tool" if you're doing any significant
metal work, and can be purchased reasonably at places like TSC or even
Harbor Freight....Carhart's seem to work for most Ironworkers, and ALWAYS
wear eye-protection!

Third, 3M makes a VERY effective high RPM paint-stripping abrasive gizmo in
sizes ranging from 2-2.5" for angled die-grinders up to 9" for big electric
angle-grinders....I use the little ones in angle-die grinders for hundreds
of things around the shop from removing paint to cleaning up wheel rims.
This pad looks like a plastic kitchen dish washing "pot-scrubber" with a
drive-stud for the grinder inserted, with a bunch of little plastic fingers
that strip paint like a sum'b!tch....and last damn-near forever (we did the
Kid's BMW 325i from top-to bottom with 2 of them!).  I get them from my
local body shop supply store.  If there's a "down-side", it's that these
aren't cheap up-front and often have to be ordered if you want big
ones.....my local shop carries them up to 5" in stock.  Don't know about any
of you.....but to my mind, $20 for a tool that works is rip-roaring bargain
compared to $10 for one that won't!

Fourth, I've tried chemical strippers and had nothing but trouble getting
paint to uniformly stick to the surface after treatment in spite of massive
efforts to clean and prep the surface afterward.  Again, don't know about
ya'll....but doing a job two or three times to get it right gets me in a
down-right murderous mood!  At the end of the day, they were more trouble
than they were worth.  YMMV!

John