<VV> Update on pressure plate compression issue

Steve Brennan Alohaz at ca.rr.com
Sun Feb 17 16:53:54 EST 2008

In order to address my excessive pressure plate finger compression, it was
suggested that I put washers between the pressure plate and the flywheel.
So I put .10" thick washers under the six legs and reinstalled the assembly.
Now, the fingers move approximately 11/32", nicely within Larry Claypool's
recommended range.  So now my question is, given that the early pressure
plate already has small hexagon-shaped "feet" (washers welded on flywheel
side of the legs), should I use slightly longer bolts to attach the pressure
plate?  The number of turns before the bolts bottomed out was noticeably
less with the washers installed, so it has me wondering if there is enough
thread contact.

Also, does the fact that this suggestion worked indicate that my pressure
plate is defective?  Should I delay reassembly and see if I can try another
pressure plate?

Thanks,

Steve Brennan

1962 Spyder Coupe