<VV> Update on pressure plate compression issue

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Feb 17 22:12:11 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/17/2008 7:18:06 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
Alohaz at ca.rr.com writes:

Should I  delay reassembly and see if I can try another
pressure  plate?

Thanks,

Steve Brennan

Steve,
The finger movement lc recommended is correct for late models. I don't know
about for EMs. So 7/8 in. may be correct. Here's what I suggest. Assuming that
 you have the whole powertrain out, install the disc and PP as you were
intending  to do originally. Then install the clutch pull rod to the throwout
bearing yoke.  Lay alongside the diff/tranny with your feet braced on the front
motor mount  cross member and pull on the pull rod. You should be able to feel
the release  bearing depress the PP fingers and feel the bearing bottom out on
its  travel. If so, then it should be allright. The pull rod should travel
about 7/8  in from contact with the fingers to its travel limit. You can easily
feel the  clutch disengage if it is working correctly.

Regards,
Bob Helt

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)