<VV> Reinstalling steering shaft snap ring

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 23:12:40 EST 2008

Jeff-
I have read that the way to get the groove exposed is to use a large box wrench which just fits over the shaft.
You install the wheel retaining nut and use the wrench to pull up on the shaft while pushing down on the snap ring to get
it into the groove. I have not tried this method yet as I left the snap ring out as you did.
I think the factory assembled the column with the lower bearing loose and then forced the bearing up the shaft and
tightened the clamp. I'm sure that is easier to do with the column out of the car!
Ed