<VV> Scholarship Applications

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Wed Feb 20 23:12:41 EST 2008

I guess the answer depends on what you think the primary purpose of a
scholarship sponsored by a Corvair Organization is all about.

1) If we have this scholarship to provide financial help out the members of
our club who need help, then, yes, it should take need into consideration.

2) If we have this scholarship to generate goodwill and promote interest and
membership in our club, then no, I don't think need should be taken into
consideration.

Consider this situation.  I belong to a genealogical organization called the
Hubbell Family Historical Society (HFHS).  They also have a $1000 dollar
scholarship that is awarded to children/grandchildren of club members that
is based on applications submitted to the organization which judges them.
Need is NOT one of the considerations.  Both of my children applied for and
received one $1000 scholarship (the maximum award).  Obviously, with my
income, neither child had a real need for the money.  However, the fact that
my children were awarded this money and recognized for their achievement in
the club newsletter pretty much guaranteed my continued membership for life,
and, in fact, I have become an annual contributor to the scholarship fund as
well.  Thus, many more members' children will continue to receive awards
because I am grateful that my children were recognized.  Also, there is
always the chance that my own children may someday join the HFHS as they get
older and remember the kindness bestowed upon them by the club.

Of course, I would have probably remained a member even if my children did
not receive the scholarships, but I probably would not be as likely to
contribute annually to the scholarship fund.

So, you can look at it both ways, and I am sure there are good arguments
either way, but as I said at the beginning, I think it all depends on what
you think the reason for having a scholarship program is for in the first
place.

Bill Hubbell