<VV> Snap Ring and Unseated Rings

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Thu Feb 21 08:01:17 EST 2008

Thanks to Matt, Jerry, Daniel and Ed for your recommendations and
suggestions.

I did the work on the car at the island repair garage where the
mechanic, a friend, had an open bay for a couple of hours. He fashioned
a copper pipe so we could try and force the cam unit further down the
column to get at the snap ring. We also tried to pull up the column with
a nut and washers, but no luck. There was no additional movement. He did
not have the tool that was recommended, but knew of it. I wondered out
loud how they assembled the thing at the factory; maybe it was assembled
before the column was installed?

When I first bought the car it was clear from noise and smoke that the
rings were not seating properly. A couple of cans of old additives,
promising to seat rings, did the trick of ending the vast smoking. Maybe
now it's time for another dose to see if it can improve the sealing.

The PCV system on this car is just the piping running into the air
cleaner - I'll shoot some more carb cleaner down there to be certain
that it's open. Matt suggested checking the dipstick tube for a hole by
dropping the oil pan. I'll do that when I change the oil next.

I have a trip on the mainland this weekend that will allow for a longer,
higher speed run. I'll bring shop towels and extra oil :)

Thanks for all your help,

Jeff