<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 37, Issue 69

lechevrier at earthlink.net lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 21 17:36:35 EST 2008

>I'm considering buying after market lenses for my '69 Monza and putting in a set of HID headlights.

Automotive Xenon Metal Halide High Intensity Discharge Headlights are not yet either a successful nor affordable Plug 'N Play conversion.

"Blue" heaqdlights come in many forms, many illegal, and most not terribly effective at providing imporved highway lighting.  Since short wave length blue light scatters easily, it produces sufficient glare to oncoming drivers to effectively blind many of us, especially older drivers with more sensitive vision, while producing decreqased effectiveness in lighting the roadway.

If you want to see hid done right, rent a newer BMW X-5 for a trip down a rainy freeway at night in heavy traffic with lots of road spray, or follow one (how I've done it), simply awesome lights!

For better legal E-code performance, I tried a set of GE's newest offering (X-tra Vison ?) -- they are heavy in the longer wavelenght yellow light, and they do project down the road farther than most.

For your ahem, enlightenment, an interesting, not too techie hid discussion and info can be found at http://www.misty.com/~don/d2.html

Of course, contents of the Daniel Stern site is always a valuable contribution to any lighting discussion.

Bill Strickland