<VV> Scholarship

james rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Fri Feb 22 11:20:58 EST 2008

ALL:

1. Seth and Roger Gault have addressed Mark's "inalienable right" comments,
so I will not comment further.  I agree completely with their thoughts, and
thus have deleted mine, which were in the works and of a similar vein.

2. VV is not formatted for a democratic vote of the membership.  In and of
it self, VV represents a small portion of CORSA membership.  It probably
represents the CORSA membership less than the combined BoD's do.  See 6
below for further comments.

3. Before we get all teary eyed or red of face about need vs merit
scholarship recipients, students with full rides are very rare.  This
argument is a straw man.  Looks good at a distance, but up close.....?!  Why
would a student with a full ride take the time to apply for pocket change?
Does not compute.

4. I hope the following will answer the question a couple folks have posted
about why CPF has a scholarship program.  And please note, as Tim has
pointed out, it is not a CORSA but a CPF scholarship process.  We get very
loose and sloppy in thinking about CORSA & CPF.

During the last 2 yrs I was on the combined CORSA/CPF BoD, we were engaged
in a sometimes lively discussion about the relationship of and between CORSA
and CPF.  In the course of the discussion about CPF status as a IRS 501(c)3
"not for profit educational foundation", I think it was Tony Vizyak who ask
an insightful question during the '01 combined BoD's meeting in Chicago.
The question was: "If the IRS requested us to prove we were a education
foundation per 501(c)3 rules, could we do so?"  There was a long pause
followed by sounds of people sucking air.  Since the answer
was......well....nooooooo...., he an others set about to correct the
situation.  So the scholarship fund was began to cover CPF's very exposed
backside, not because "we" were concerned for needy or meritorious college
kids.  We simply had to come up with a way to justify CPF's status under IRS
rules in case they asked.

At the time, I wasn't a fan of the idea, primary because I had other CPF
issues on my plate. It was somebody else's project.  In retrospect, I think
it was correct action driven by correct thinking.  I was off the Combined
BoD's as it was implemented.

5. CORSA is not a "501(c)3 not for profit educational foundation" like CPF
is.  It is some other kind of "not for profit", but I don't remember what
the correct IRS nomenclature is.  It is my conviction CORSA's membership as
a whole do not know what CPF is or what it's purposes are.  We just know
that somehow, CPF is a good thing.  It is probably viewed by most as similar
to one of the Special Interest Groups (SIG), when it is in fact a critter of
an entirely different nature.  It gets more attention from the CORSA/CPF BoD
than a SIG, but not much.  Which has lead to CPF being mostly dormant: no
vision, no understanding, do attention, no plans, no work.....no hope?

6. The will of the (CORSA) membership is not applicable to CPF actually.
CPF does not have a membership.  Only CORSA has a membership.  CPF has a
BoD, all of who are CORSA BoD members, but that isn't a requirement if I
remember correctly.  It is just the way it is done.  A default position.

CPF was created by CCE from the profits of their 2nd CORSA convention and
given to CORSA to administer.  That was in '85?  It wasn't until the late
90's CORSA saw fit to mention being elected to the CORSA BoD also entailed
CPF responsibilities.  Some of us tried to make the CPF part of the BoD
duties more evident back then.  But today it is mostly an afterthought if
you read the call for candidates and the candidates "vote for me because"
statements in the Communique.

CORSA and CPF are joined at the heart and the pocket book, but they are two
separate entities in the eyes of the IRS.  Either can exist without the
other.  Funding becomes an issue for CPF without CORSA member's
contributions.  Even today, someone with the pockets could create a
"Foundation for Preserving Corvair History and Artifacts" and be completely
independent of CORSA.  My guess it is only because of the lack of deep
pockets this hasn't happened.

7. JR was right about my subject line in my previous post. Sorry.  I forgot
to change it.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

PS.  For all of you who persist in not reading how I refer to myself, please
note I prefer James to Jim.  My mother doesn't even refer to me as Jim!
Thanks.