<VV> Jets size...how small can you go?

David Fasgold dfasgold at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 17:04:27 EST 2008

Following the discussion on fuel economy, how small of a jet size can you get away with? My car (95hp/3.55/PG) was getting rotten mileage (combined average of 17mpg) with 52 jets (+ power enrichment jets). Since the carbs had the power enrichment circuits, I decided to do a little experiment and reduce the main jet size. I was going to go with size 50, but all I could find lying around was a set of 48's. I installed them. I had to retard the timing slightly, but have not noticed any pinging or loss of power, even with 87 octane. After running with this setup for a couple of weeks, my combined mileage had increased to about 22mpg. I know that the smaller jet size is going against the conventional wisdom, but is anyone else out there running smaller main jets with power enrichment circuits?