<VV> synthetic or mineral on a rebuild?

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 4 12:52:15 EST 2008

My practice has been to use good old dead dinosaur juice for the first 1,000
to 2,000 miles or so.  Until I'm satisfied that the rings have seated and
the oil consumption has gone to zero or nearly so.

After first starting a fresh engine, I change the oil and filter after 20 or
30 minutes run time (not driving).  Change again after 1 to 2 hours - still
not driving.  Change again after 300 to 400 miles.  Change again after 1,000
to 1,500 miles.  At this point, I make the decision to go or not go with
synthetic yet.  Sometimes I wait for the first "regular" oil change at the
3,000 (more) mile mark and monitor the consumption during that period.

This might be overkill, but oil (of either type) is a whole lot cheaper than
another engine rebuild.

Later, JR